Posts Tagged Timeline stream
Well this morning I checked my Facebook Timeline to see if my latest social apps are still working. I don’t want to recommend my clients use these features then only to find out that they are not working. So we test … test … test. In this morning’s testing I find I have new intruders, dare I say interlopers, in my Timeline stream.
Exhibit One – The Interloping Ads!
Ads Are My Friends
I know this sounds strange coming from a person who counsels small and medium sized companies on how to use internet advertising to their advantage, but putting things in MY STREAM seems like a violation to me. I fully understand the left or right hand side of the page (depending on which Facebook page you are looking at) will hold their ads. And i want those ads to be relevant, or contextual, to the content that is on that page. Actually, I’m counting on it.
I and admire Facebook for allowing me to turn off the setting which shows my name under ads. Even though I may have liked a product, if I’m not getting paid to promote it, why give them that for free.
What does bother me is showing ads in my stream. The ads so far have been nothing about me. Nothing about the story i am trying to tell about me. So why does Facebook now think it’s going to make me want to use their product more to continue to build that story?
In Walks Google+
I see Google+ as walking away with a win on this. I think this violation will cause many to search out alternate solutions to telling their story.
What do you think?
- Facebook timeline your whole life – Lifebook anyone? (marketing.yell.com)
- Facebook Timeline – what it means for your business (simplybusiness.co.uk)
- The Facebook timeline feature and what it means for your page (marketing.yell.com)
- Using Facebook Timeline for Online Branding (blogherald.com)
- Facebook Timeline for Pages: Why is this so hard? (alainawiens.wordpress.com)
- Here’s what your Google+ posts would look like in Facebook’s Timeline view (thenextweb.com)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
ads, blog, business, consulting, customer experience, facebook, Facebook Timeline, Fail, failure, Friends, Google, Internet Marketing, On-Line Ads, postaday, Searching, segmentation, social media, Social network, Timeline stream, violation
Thought Streamsblog brainstorming brand business campaign planning client collaboration Company competition consulting corporate corporate events customer experience Customer Service customer service examples direct mail e-commerce Email excellent customer service facebook failure Flanking Marketing Flickr Godin Google Google Plus Guerrilla Marketing ideas Internet Marketing iPad iPhone Jack Trout Jott leadership linkedin management marketing Marketing and Advertising Marketing Warfare measure meetings On-Line Ads planning postaday postaweek postaweek2011 PPC process process improvement product focus productivity projects results Search Engines Searching segmentation SEM Seth Godin small business soccer social media SPAM sports stats Strategy Tactic technology tool Tools twitter United States vision Web 2.0 Web 3.0 wordpress
- (no title)
- Mind Mapping: Online Collaboration Tool
- HootSuite Extends Google+ Pages to All Users
- HootSuite Adds More Awesome to Hootlet with AutoSchedule – HootSuite Social Media Management
- foursquare Social Media Ignorance
- 5 Ways You Should Be Using Your Smartphone to Create Fresh Content
- Reclaim Your Time with the 1% : 99% Rule (Part 1 of 3)
- (no title)
- Competition and the Consumer’s Mind
- Google+ Local: Taking over Places?
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.