Well this morning I checked my Facebook Timeline to see if my latest social apps are still working. I don’t want to recommend my clients use these features then only to find out that they are not working. So we test … test … test. In this morning’s testing I find I have new intruders, dare I say interlopers, in my Timeline stream.
Exhibit One – The Interloping Ads!
Ads Are My Friends
I know this sounds strange coming from a person who counsels small and medium sized companies on how to use internet advertising to their advantage, but putting things in MY STREAM seems like a violation to me. I fully understand the left or right hand side of the page (depending on which Facebook page you are looking at) will hold their ads. And i want those ads to be relevant, or contextual, to the content that is on that page. Actually, I’m counting on it.
I and admire Facebook for allowing me to turn off the setting which shows my name under ads. Even though I may have liked a product, if I’m not getting paid to promote it, why give them that for free.
What does bother me is showing ads in my stream. The ads so far have been nothing about me. Nothing about the story i am trying to tell about me. So why does Facebook now think it’s going to make me want to use their product more to continue to build that story?
In Walks Google+
I see Google+ as walking away with a win on this. I think this violation will cause many to search out alternate solutions to telling their story.
What do you think?
- Facebook timeline your whole life – Lifebook anyone? (marketing.yell.com)
- Facebook Timeline – what it means for your business (simplybusiness.co.uk)
- The Facebook timeline feature and what it means for your page (marketing.yell.com)
- Using Facebook Timeline for Online Branding (blogherald.com)
- Facebook Timeline for Pages: Why is this so hard? (alainawiens.wordpress.com)
- Here’s what your Google+ posts would look like in Facebook’s Timeline view (thenextweb.com)