Posts Tagged sling
Brand Managers have a new world to live in. No longer can they sit back and decide such things as when, to whom, where, and what information they will deliver to the world. They must now worry about how quickly they may need to respond if something goes terribly bad. Social media has reduced the feedback cycle time to seconds, not weeks or months. Reaction time is so short that any misstep will cause brand value to plummet faster then the price the rare spiders at an arachnophobia convention.
Blog Social Media Buzz
I ran across a marketing blog post (Motrin Babywearing Ad/PR Debacle) and it referenced Motrin ad and baby carriers. I was curious. Normally I would not go hunting down this type of discussion but for some reason this caught my eye. I viewed the YouTube ad and posted a comment on the blog.
TweetDeck Global Search
Continuing my curiosity, I used my TweetDeck (Twitter Interface) to set up some global searches for hashtags and phrases I thought relevant, and wow, did I get flooded with feedback. I specifically searched “#motrin OR #babycarrier OR #motrinmoms” for the hashtags. I also searched for “motrin OR babycarrier OR motrinmoms” thinking I would also capture all the people not using hashtags.
Firestorm an Understatement
My TweetDeck makes a sound each time it updates the deck, in this case my two searches. Those two columns of information have not stopped updating all day. There are some very angry moms out there and they are using Twitter to express their rage. There are also a bunch of folks that are very apathetic to this ad that can’t seem to understand why everyone is so upset.
Either way, there is a brand manager out there that is eating Motrin like candy right now …. wishing this firestorm would pass.
Post Post Update
Since I originoally put out this post there have been some interesting videos that have surfaced that I thought would be of interest.
Motrin Ad Parody: The entire Motrin Mom (motrinmom) episode could have been avoided if this ad would have been released because the negative and positive responses would have done nothing but improve the brand standing ….. and make a bunch of people laugh themselves wet.
Mad Motrin Mom Tweet Video: Here is a 9 minute YouTube video showing some of the responses posted by #motrinmoms moms on Twitter!
Outraged Baby-Wearing Mama: First of all, if this is outrage, then I don’t want people showing up and my house because I’m afraid how they’d label me! This is actually one of the best responses I saw given the firestorm on Twtiter.
Noise To Signal Cartoon
Found this great cartoon about the brand manager’s bad day!
Thought Streamsblog brand business campaign planning collaboration consulting customer experience Customer Service e-commerce Email excellent customer service facebook failure Flanking Marketing Google Guerrilla Marketing Internet Marketing Jott leadership management marketing Marketing Warfare measure meetings On-Line Ads postaday postaweek2011 process productivity projects results Search Engines segmentation SEM Seth Godin social media stats Strategy Tactic technology tool Tools twitter United States vision
- The 99%
- Mind Mapping: Online Collaboration Tool
- HootSuite Extends Google+ Pages to All Users
- HootSuite Adds More Awesome to Hootlet with AutoSchedule – HootSuite Social Media Management
- foursquare Social Media Ignorance
- 5 Ways You Should Be Using Your Smartphone to Create Fresh Content
- Reclaim Your Time with the 1% : 99% Rule (Part 1 of 3)
- Customer Development as a Design Squiggle
- Competition and the Consumer’s Mind
- Google+ Local: Taking over Places?
- Topsy - Real-time search for the social web
- 7 Ebooks to Write ASAP to Generate More Leads
- 25 Things You Should Know About NaNoWriMo
- Divine Elemente (plugin for photoshop). PSD to WordPress theme converter.
- Turn your Google Docs into a Fax Machine
- Google Chrome is now Bundled with Adobe Reader
- SlideShare dumps Flash goes HTML5: Developer resources vs. multiple apps | ZDNet
- Trello: Organize Anything, Together
- Tonara: Interactive Sheet Music App